Looking for some fun September post ideas for 2023? This post is the answer when it comes to Social Media Holidays for September, complete with fresh Canva Templates! You'll score all the content calendar inspo, videos, and pics you need for the entire September shindig.
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JANUARY, 2023
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This blog post is like a treasure chest of popular, national, and international holidays for the whole of September. Plus, it's got some wacky celebration days for September 2023 that'll leave you wondering who came up with them in the first place (LOL) – but you'll be surprised how easily you can pivot any unusual holiday to something relevant to talk about you in your business. We're talking over 60+ killer ideas right here to keep those creative juices flowing.
And hold onto your hats, because we're not stopping at just calendar days for September. We've got weekly and monthly holidays thrown in for good measure. Oh, and by the way, I've loaded you up with tools and ideas that you can come back to whenever you're in a content pickle.
What's Cookin' in Your September Social Media Ideas Pot?
- Canva templates galore, ready to help you whip up stellar images or even engaging videos in a flash to match your posts! We're talking the whole nine yards: an overview of all the September social media ideas for your content calendar, so you can run with it and start creating. We've got ideas on what to create, and nifty templates to make that creation process a breeze. Whip up your images, videos, or GIFs and get ready to drop them like they're hot.
- Hold up, we've got more than just the usual. I'm talking about a Quick Reference Guide (in a shareable Infographic!) that'll have you grabbing social media ideas and holidays for September 2023 like a boss.
- While you're at it, why not check out the rest of the Monthly Social Media Idea posts in this series? They've been revamped for 2023 with fresh content ready to go:
- 60+ January Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ February Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ March Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ April Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ May Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ June Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ July Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ August Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ September Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ October Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ November Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ December Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
Fast-Track Your Prep Game for September 2023 Content:
Creating content might sound like a bigger project than assembling IKEA furniture (is it just me that has screws leftover every time?), but I've got your back with some nifty tips. It's like the fast-pass lane to prepping a whole month's worth of content with ease:
- First up, templates are your new BFFs. No need to be a design wizard – just grab one and give it your own personal flair.
- Don't bite off more than you can chew when editing templates. Choose 1 or 2 things to edit such as the text, imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts. Don't change too many elements or you can easily ruin the design.
- Batch creation is your secret weapon. Don't stop at just one – create a whole bunch at once. Maximise your time and efficiency by working in chunks of time.
- Ready to dive into video? Start small, think short and snappy – 15 to 30 seconds is your sweet spot for video creation. Once you've got the groove, you can go bigger (hint: I've edited a lot of videos for YouTube largely in Canva lately… the video tools are getting better and better).
- Make content that your audience drools over. Think about what gets them sharing and engaging. Need some inspo? Post questions, quotes, handy tips, or even some humor that's as irresistible as a block of chocolate.
P.S. I'm one of a handful of Canva Verified Experts worldwide, so you can score Canva Templates and an exclusive extended free trial of Canva Pro right here. You're welcome.
Canva Templates + Extended Free Trial on Canva Pro
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (including templates that are Free for all Canva users, and those that are free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
Quick Guide Infographic to September Social Media Ideas & Holidays
Tight on time? Don't sweat it. We've got your back with a bite-sized reference guide for September Social Media Holidays in 2023. Share it pronto or stash it on Pinterest to check in on later:
Want our full 2023 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here (hint: it's packed with 365 days of posts).
Let's jump into the calendar days for 2023!
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Days
I've included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this September list of social media ideas and holidays. We've also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2023.
Let's dive into September. Every single day has a “day” to celebrate or talk about (some you will recognise and some you will not!)…and there are hashtags too!
1. National No Rhyme (nor Reason) Day – Yeah, it's as odd as it sounds. English words that refuse to rhyme with anything else – now that's unique. It also refers to anything that occurs without any purpose or explanation.
Oh, and it's World Beach Day too, so share those ocean vibes my sea-loving friends. Someone in your team (or your community of ideal customers) will love the sea, just sayin'. Here's a beach-inspired Pinterest Video Pin you can use! Click to see the video version below:
2. It's World Coconut Day. Coconuts, tropical islands – go nuts with the coconut content!
And if you're all about that bacon, it's International Bacon Day. Snag a slice of that bacon love. This day is held on the Saturday before Labor Day in the US or 1st Saturday in September).
And a shout out to the Bearded! It's World Beard Day on September 2nd this year (held on the first Saturday of September). Check out this website for beard-like activities to celebrate the humble beard. Celebrate with a quote inspired by fresh cuts:
3. Skyscraper Day – Shout out to the towering giants! If you've visited any cool skyscrapers lately, now's the talk about it as part of your as part of your September Social Media Ideas.
It's also Father's Day down under in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Papua New Guinea.
4. National Macadamia Nut Day – One of the most well-loved nuts around the world.. the humble macadamia is perfect in everything from salads to desserts. If you're nuts about nuts, then post about nuts today! We love them in Australia. Fun Fact: Macadamias are native to Australia and Hawaii.
Today is also Labor Day in the US and Canada in 2023 celebrated on the first Monday in September. So, give a shout-out to the hard-working heroes in society! Use the hashtag #LaborDay.
5. International Day of Charity – Time to show love for your favorite non-profit or social enterprise. Spread that good karma. Find out more about it on the official UN website here. Use the hashtag #InternationalDayOfCharity or #CharityDay.
And if you're feeling late to the party, it's Be Late for Something Day – why rush when you can chill? People who love to be punctual need not apply…. or…. maybe it's a day to just chill and not be so rigid! #BeLateForSomethingDay
6. Read a Book Day – Dive into the world of books and take your audience along. Or just share some bookish self-care vibes.Today is the perfect day to talk about books, reading, authors and everything “Books”. Use the hashtag #ReadABookDay.
7. Salami Day- If you're a meat lover or a pizza lover then today is the day to talk about it. Salami is a fermented, cured (then air-dried) sausage that is popular in Mediterranean countries. And it's great on pizza.
8. International Literacy Day – Celebrate the magic of words and knowledge! Use the hashtag #LiteracyDay and check out the UN website for more information. This day is all about highlighting world literacy rates, and reflecting on the importance of literacy and the challenges we face with literacy in some parts of the world.
For fun, it's also National Ampersand Day (so celebrate the humble &). Fun Fact: that funky & symbol has a wild history. The Ampersand used to be the last letter of the alphabet and the word “ampersand” is a slurring of “real words” run together over time.
Share a fun quote including an Ampersand. You can edit this template to be Ying & Yang, Up & Down… whatever works for your audience:
9. If you love Sudoku Puzzles then get ready to have fun with your September social media ideas on International Sudoku Day. Solve it, share it – it's Sudoku time!
10. Swap Ideas Day – It's a day to share ideas, barter your products or exchange and different perspectives. Held annually on September 10 #SwapIdeasDay.
It's also World Suicide Prevention Day – an initiative of the World Health Organisation. It's confronting to think that a person dies every 40 seconds worldwide from suicide. Over 800,000 people, so consider sharing some attention for this cause on your social channels on September 10th.
11. National Day of Service & Remembrance – today is about remembering a day that changed the world forever – 9/11 and the lives lost. Use the hashtag #911Day.
It's also Make Your Bed Day. If you're looking to post about something related to business, maybe a post about the productivity benefits of making your bed is in order. Or ask your audience if they love/hate folding a fitted sheet! No matter your industry, there's always an opinion.
It's also National Boss/Employee Exchange Day – Today is a chance for employees and managers to change places and see how the other half works. Held on the Monday after Labour day (2nd Monday in September)
12. National Video Games Day – Game on! Show your gaming side. Today is all about video games – love them or hate them, it's highly likely some of your audience plays them. use the hashtag #videogamesday.
It's also National Day of Encouragement #DayofEncouragement. Spread the positivity like confetti with some motivational content.
A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.
13. It's also Positive Thinking Day – a great day for sharing positive, motivational quotes with your audience. Or maybe a message of encouragement or positivity. Think #PositiveThoughts. Or just share the happy vibes:
14. National Cream-Filled Donut Day – Need we say more? Any donut is good, but creme-filled… even better. And let's face it, donut quotes, memes videos, and #AllTheDonutThings are the business.
15. Greenpeace Day – Let's give a virtual high-five to the planet. Greenpeace continues to support and preserve the Earth – ever since it was founded on September 15, 1971. That was the day that 17 activists set sail to stop nuclear testing about to take place on the shores of Alaska. Get creative with September social media ideas around the environment.
It's also Cheese Toast Day. Because who doesn't love cheese toast. Cheese + toast = love.
It's International Grenache Day – Raise a glass to red wine! Yes, it's another red-wine appreciation day, and this time it's all about Grenache. Held annually on the 3rd Friday in September, Grenache Day is a good day to post content about wine.
16. National Play-Doh Day – Fun Fact: Play Doh was originally invented as a wallpaper cleaner by Joe McVicker but a second use was discovered for it – play! This is a well-loved toy the world over and today is the day to post about it. Here are a few fun facts to get you started.
International Red Panda Day – give a nod to the cute Red Pandas! This day is celebrated on the 3rd Saturday in September.
17. Constitution Day (US) – Celebrate the foundation of a nation in the US. Held on September 17, 1787. Constitution Day is therefore celebrated every year on the 17th in September – to recognize the day that the United States Constitution was adopted.
18. National Cheeseburger Day – Burgers with cheese, please! Every year Americans eat 50 billion cheeseburgers. That's 3 burgers per week per person. The humble cheeseburger was trademarked by Louis Ballast of the Humpty Dumpty Drive-in, in Denver, Colorado, 1935. Use the hashtag #nationalcheeseburgerday.
And get your spines alinged because the 18th is also the day that the profession of Chiropractic was founded. Chiropractic Founder's Day is celebrated on September 18th every year. It's the date that D.D. Palmer conducted the first chiropractic adjustment in Davenport, Iowa in 1895. It's now the world's largest drug-free non-surgical health profession.
19. Talk Like a Pirate Day – Arrr, matey! Time to embrace your inner pirate.Use the hashtag #TalkLikeAPirateDay if you're run out of September social media ideas and want to post about Pirates!
20. Today is National Fried Rice Day Because fried rice deserves a day in the spotlight. Use the hashtag #FriedRiceDay. Or if you're all about that pizza life, it's Pepperoni Pizza Day.
21. International Day of Peace – Spread peace, love, and good vibes. Use the hashtag #PeaceDay and find out more on the official United Nations website here. This day is all about humanity committing to Peace and building a culture of peace, above all of our differences.
And don't forget to be grateful – it's World Gratitude Day. And if you like golf, it's Mini-Golf Day too.
22. Hobbit Day – Calling all Tolkien fans! Let your inner hobbit out to play. Today is all about the humble Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Why the 22nd? Because it's the birthday of two of Tolkien's major characters – Bilbo Baggins and Frodo Baggins. Use the hashtag #HobbitDay
It's also White Chocolate Day – chocolate lovers, unite! Or maybe ask your audience which pure chocolate flavour they like best – milk/dark, white or the recently discovered ruby red chocolate. Ask your audience which is their favorite using this Canva template:
September 22nd is also World Car Free Day. Today is the day to encourage your audience to go car-free. Take the train, tram, bus .. or ride a bike from A to B and reduce air emissions together.
And don't forget the Rhinos. It's World Rhino Day too.
23. It's the International Day of Sign Language – celebrated on the 23rd September. Find out more on their UN website, here.
24. National Punctuation Day – Commas, periods, exclamation points – give 'em the attention they deserve. Today is all about Punctuation. Full Stop. But seriously, you can get creative with posts about writing and punctuation on this day – celebrated on the 24th September annually.
25. National One-Hit Wonder Day – Celebrate those musical wonders that rocked the charts …. once. We've all loved a one-hit wonder at some stage of our life. Share your favourites or ask your audience to share theirs! Here are a few one-time hits.
26. European Day of Languages – ciao, bonjour, hola! Use the hashtag #EDL2019. In Europe, over 800 million people are represented by the Council of Europe's 47 member states. They are all encouraged to learn more languages at any age (as part of their studies or alongside their studies). This day has been celebrated since 2001 on 26th September.
It's also National Dumpling Day. If you love dumplings, this is what you've been training for.
27. World Tourism Day – I'm a big fan of tourism – as a traveller to 36 countries, a lover of local tourism and a speaker and consultant to the Tourism Industry. So of course I had to include World Tourism Day in this list of September Social Media Ideas and Holidays. Check out the official UN website here.
As they say, over the last 6 decades, tourism has expanded and diversified exponentially. It may be a tough year in 2020 but it will bounce back. In the meantime, support your local region and take a break locally or in your home State. There's plenty to discover!
Share a fun post to celebrate our adventurous spirit on World Tourism Day:
28. Confucius' Birthday – Wise words for a wise day. What would Confucius say?… he'd say to celebrate his birthday with a post of witty philosophy. Confucius was a Chinese philosopher and politician, born in 551 BC on this day. His philosophy is referred to as Confucianism and is based around justice, social relationships, and sincerity. There are plenty of posts on the web to source some great Confucianisms!
Need more September social media ideas for this day? Try Ask a Stupid Question Day (use #AskAStupidQuestionDay) and National Good Neighbor Day in the US (not to be confused with Neighbour Day in Australia that is celebrated in March).
29. World Heart Day – Today is about creating a global community of “Heart Heroes” – people from all walks of life who are acting now to live longer, better, heart-healthy lives. And to do this by making a promise to cook and eat more healthily, exercise with our families and keep active, stay no to smoking, and for employers and employees to invest in healthy-heart workplaces. Find out more on the official World Hearth Day Website. Or share the heart love with this template:
The International Maritime Organization also celebrates World Maritime Day on this day. Find out more here. It's celebrated on the last Thursday in September, annually.
30. International Podcast Day – Podcasts are huge all over the world, as we crave audio content to consume while out and about, exercising or driving long commutes in our cars. So it makes sense that we have a day to celebrate them. That day is the 30th September, annually to celebrate International Podcast Day. Check out the website for ideas to celebrate Podcast Day.
Maybe share a podcast you love using a template like this:
PS Here are a few social media podcasts, I'm loving!
But wait, there's more! September's got more month-long holidays than you can shake a stick at. We're talking Save the Koala Month, Better Breakfast Month, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and a bunch more. So why not sprinkle some September magic onto your content calendar?
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Months
Use this list of September month-long holidays to create content:
- Save the Koala Month – Find out more here.
- Better Breakfast Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Child Passenger Safety Month
- Classical Music Month
- Happy Cat Month
- National Courtesy Month
- National Guide Dog Month
- National Mushroom Month… and National Potato Month!
- Suicide Prevention Month
- Read a New Book Month
And remember, you can join Canva Pro free for 45 days, using this link:
Here's a couple of quick and easy tips for creating images in Canva for 2023 content:
Here are a couple of lightning-fast tricks to jazz up your Canva game for your 2023 content:
You know those templates I dished out earlier? Well, they're just the appetizer! For a full-on template feast, head over to my Canva Creator Profile on Canva. There, you'll find a treasure trove of hundreds of extra templates, with fresh ones dropping like confetti. And the best part? I've got options for both the free Canva users and the Canva Pro masters.
1. Templates.. all the Templates (it's a Template Fiesta 🎉)
You know those templates I dished out earlier? Well, they're just the appetizer! For a full-on template feast, head over to my Canva Creator Profile on Canva. There, you'll find a treasure trove of hundreds of extra templates, with fresh ones dropping like confetti. And the best part? I've got options for both the free Canva users and the Canva Pro masters. Click below to follow for 1000s of templates and new templates added every week (for both Free and Pro Canva users).
2. Lights, Camera, Action – Create Videos! 📽️
Canva's gone Hollywood, folks! They've cooked up an incredible video suite of editing tools that'll have you dancing in your virtual director's chair. Start with an easy to edit timeline and throw in animations for text, objects, and even whole-page animation magic. Plus, you can sprinkle in transitions to add that extra pizzazz. It's like having your own mini-movie studio at your fingertips. So, go on, give it a whirl!
Fun Fact: I used to use a lot of outside tools to create video and now I am doing more and more in Canva. Full Disclosure: I create animated video templates for Canva so I am just a little bit biased, but really… their video tool is the bomb-diggity!
3. Get More Calendar Ideas!
Hungry for more calendar ideas? I've got you covered! Dive into my fully revamped 2023 calendar post for an extra dose of social media calendar ideas and inspiration. It's like an all-you-can-eat buffet of content ideas for the year.
What will you create in your monthly social media posts with ideas and Canva template inspiration?