Are you looking for IGTV Ideas to promote your brand on Instagram TV? In this post we've rounded up 10 awesome IGTV ideas, with ready-to-use video templates. So now, you can get on with creating compelling video content for your IGTV Channel.Instagram has been putting a lot of effort into video recently. By adding Instagram Stories, they managed to increase the amount of time people spend on the platform to the average 32 minutes every day.
And just recently, Instagram introduced a new feature – IGTV (or Instagram TV) – that is going to change the way we think about Instagram video.
What is IGTV?
IGTV is a new app within the Instagram ecosystem that is specifically designed for watching longer videos in vertical mode.
We are accustomed to holding our phones in the vertical position, so it’s only natural to watch videos vertically. You don’t have to flip your phone to watch a video.
To me, IGTV is similar to YouTube, only for vertical videos. You can see content from the people you are already subscribed to on Instagram. The platform also suggests new content based on the videos you have previously watched.
Before we jump into some IGTV Ideas, let's take a look at the specs for your IGTV video:
With IGTV, Instagram reinforces the idea of full-portrait vertical videos. In this sense, IGTV videos are similar to Instagram Stories. Here are the specs to keep in mind when making videos for IGTV:
- The aspect ratio for IGTV videos is 9:16. Which means you might want to make your videos 1080 pixels wide and 1920 pixels high.
- The minimum length for IGTV videos is 15 seconds. Videos for smaller accounts can be up to 10 minutes long. It’s a huge increase from the 15-second cap for Stories and 60 seconds for in-feed videos that opens new opportunities for content creators.
- Accounts that have more than 10,000 followers can upload videos of up to 60 minutes long. Unfortunately, Instagram won’t allow you to upload such a long video from your phone: you will need to use a computer in order to do it. Which only makes sense, as it is probably going to take you forever using your phone. Smaller accounts can upload videos of up to 10 minutes, so it's still more time to tell your story.
How to Make a Great IGTV Video
To me, Instagram seems like a platform that has the smoothest learning curve among all others when it comes to making a video. Instagram is all about engagement and talking to people.
So, if you are thinking what your first IGTV video is going to be about, it can be as simple as a video of yourself talking to your audience.
However, just like any other platform, IGTV has its own rules and recommendations to follow. To make the most of your IGTV videos, you might want to make sure you do this.
Make sure you are shooting your video in the vertical mode.
IGTV was designed as a platform for vertical videos. However, you will be surprised to find out how many people still post videos in the landscape mode. This is inconvenient to viewers as they will have to flip their phone (or their head) in order to be able to watch the video.
Don't Make Your Video Too Long
While the 60-minute cap might give you an impression that IGTV is the new YouTube, it’s still not. It is still very much a mobile-first platform, and users will simply get tired of holding their phone in their hands if you want to make them watch a long IGTV video.
Instead, I might recommend that you keep your videos under 5 minutes. It’s too easy to swipe to the next video. Try to get to the point quickly.
Make Your Videos Appealing by using Matching Colors
Now, even if the only video you have is in the landscape mode, you can still post it on IGTV. The trick is to use a matching background and add captions.
Tool recommendation: to find the best color combinations, I use the free tool called coolors.co. You can enter the hex code of a color, and the tool will suggest four other colors that match yours perfectly. If you want to change the combination, simply hit the spacebar, and Coolors will come up with a new combination.
Keep Your Intro on the Screen Long Enough
It’s a good idea to add an intro to your IGTV videos. The intro might include the title of the video and a short description of what the video is going to be about.
However, make sure you give your viewers enough time to read the intro. Don’t move on to the next scene too quickly.
IGTV Video Ideas
There are several approaches that content creators have to IGTV:
- ❌ “Dump” whatever video you already have to IGTV without changing anything. However, I wouldn’t recommend thinking of IGTV as just another platform to share your existing videos on.
- ❓Repurpose videos. If you have a video that you made for YouTube or other platform, it’s ok to use it on IGTV – as long as you make sure it’s fitted to the platform. That is, make it shorter, add an intro, and make sure it’s vertical.
- ✅ Create a brand new IGTV show. As Salma Jafri puts it, ‘You can get really personal and intimate on this platform’. You can share things like behind the scenes or daily vlogs of your life as a company or a business owner.
10 Great IGTV Ideas to Promote Your Brand [+Free Templates]
Here are 10 great IGTV ideas for videos you can post on your IGTV channel. As you go through each of the IGTV ideas, you'll see video templates that you can use… straight away! All you have to do to access the templates is:
- Choose a template you like.
- Click the “Edit this template” button.
- You'll be taken directly to the Wave.video website where you can create your free account (use this link and get a discount for the Socially Sorted audience!) (Please note: if you already have an account, the template will open up, ready to edit).
- Then simply edit the templates as you wish.
Ready to create some videos for IGTV? Below are 10 IGTV Ideas for what to post (together with the free templates to help you get started). And you can use them for Instagram Stories too!
A Q&A session is an amazing way to connect with your audience and provide them with the information they are actually willing to know.
For instance, you can use the knew Question sticker in Stories to ask your audience what they would like as YOU. And then answer these questions in an IGTV episode.
2. Preview a Weekly Podcast
Instagram is a great platform to promote your podcast. As a podcaster creating an IGTV video, you can introduce yourself, present your podcast and what it is about.
Make a short video teaser of your next podcast episode and urge your audience to listen to it on iTunes or your platform of choice.
3. Workout Routine
In the US alone, there are about 25 million people who exercise at home. Posting a workout routine on IGTV is a wonderful way to share your sport expertise with your audience wherever they might be.
Pro tip: in order to make your video more engaging, speed it up! And don’t forget to add text with the number of reps to the video.
4. Behind the Scenes
Show your brand from a different angle by posting behind the scenes footage. Being naturally curious, people love being involved in the process and seeing how things were made.
Hot Tip: Encourage your team to take random footage around your business and daily business life with their phones. You never know when you might want to post some behind the scenes footage. It's one of the IGTV ideas you can fall back on when you can't think of what to post!
5. Customer Testimonial
Nothing is more persuasive than hearing real people talk about your brand or service.
Share the love your customers have to your brand with a customer testimonial IGTV video.
If you are a food blogger, start an IGTV show where you can share your recipes with the audience.
Make sure to add text instructions so that people will know exactly how much flour to put into that cake!
7. Introduce New Series
Create a brand new IGTV show and introduce it to your audience.
To hook your viewers right away, make sure to add a catchy intro with the name of the show.
8. A Tutorial of Some Sort
Another idea for an IGTV video is to make a tutorial that people can quickly watch in the vertical format. Here are just a few examples of what might make a great tutorial on IGTV:
- Makeup tutorial
- Explaining how a product works
- Hairdo tutorial
9. 5 Tips
Listicles and short tips always make for wonderful content to share. It might also serve as a great way to repurpose your blog posts into an IGTV video.
10. A Movie/Book/Restaurant Review
Have you recently read an interesting book or watched a captivating movie? Share your thoughts and critique on IGTV!
Don't have a Wave account?
- Choose a template you like.
- Click the “Edit this template” button.
- You'll be taken directly to any of these templates to start editing.
- Again, if you don't have an account yet, you can use this link and get a discount for the Socially Sorted audience!
- Start creating!
Over to You
What kind of video are you going to share on IGTV? Share in the comments below!
Latest posts by Olga Bedrina (see all)
- How to Create Cross-Platform Social Videos That Grab Attention - September 29, 2018
- 10 Great IGTV Ideas to Promote Your Brand [+Free Templates] - August 22, 2018
- Ideal Video Length: How Long Should Your Social Video Be? [Infographic] - May 4, 2018