Looking for easy Canva video ideas that stop the scroll and catch attention? In this post, I share 5 Canva video ideas that are super easy to edit for your industry and audience.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
Video is everywhere and we are constantly being expected to create video for social media. But who has the time? It can be dang hard! First you need to come up with the concept for the video, then the creation, then the editing… it's time consuming at best.
But what if I told you that engaging, interesting social video can be easy? You just have to find some great templates, so you can make easy edits and publish quickly.
And I have that tool for you. Canva. Yes, Canva has thousands of video templates in their library – from simple animations to full multi-scene videos.. including some of my own templates as a Canva Creator. In this post, I share 6 Canva video ideas including templates that are super easy to edit.
I'll also share ideas for how you can take these easy video concepts and adapt the templates for a few different industries…. including your own industry!
Why use Canva for Video?
Canva's video features keep getting better and better. Here are just a few to consider:
- The editor is free and easy to use – no need to upload any additional software as you can do everything you need in Canva.
- You can easily animate any frame in your video. Animate just a single element or you can animate across an entire frame or “page”.
- You can access hundreds of thousands of elements in Canva – from video stock footage (including free video) to audio tracks to free icons, illustrations and images.
- You can upload your own media and easily edit multiple frames of your video, with fun transitions too!
- Canva has a super simple video editor which allows you to clip and edit video tracks too. You can crop, size, trim, and cut, even flip your videos.
While professional editors may find a few features still lacking (ie fade in and out is not part of the software … yet) I think Canva video is a solid option for most small business owners and marketers.
And there is plenty of development happening according to the Canva Video team so the features will only get better.
Let's jump in and take a look at some Canva video ideas and templates!
6 Easy Canva Video Ideas You Can Use Right Now!
Each of these Canva video ideas are accompanied by one of my Canva video templates. Be sure to read to the end of the post to find out how you can access a Canva Pro Account free for 45 days, and follow my profile to see more templates:
1. Audio Track Showcase Video
The first of the Canva Video ideas is an easy one – it's a simple video that allows you to showcase audio of any kind. Think new music, a podcast or any audio track. In this case, the video below has been used to showcase the music on your playlist or your team's playlist:
This is a great way to relate to your audience. Everyone listens to music, right? And the retro CD case adds a little fun to the post.
What to change it up? Change the audio and the image on the template, to make it represent the type of music or audio track you want to share.
You can choose another audio track from Canva or you can upload your own audio file. Then create other types of “audio” videos like:
- your own podcast episode or a podcast you're listening to.
- music you are listening to or want to share.
- something you are releasing soon – like a podcast episode or track.
Hot Tip: This type of “audio” showcase video can even be modified to share an audio of your voice. Why not record a tip or how-to or your thoughts on a subject and share them as an “audio” with accompanying video or animation.
2. Search Bar Video
This is one of my favorite Canva video ideas. It's a super easy-to-edit video style that I love to create. My community loves to edit them too!
This video template is based on the popular trend of device “mockups” that you have no doubt seen on social media. In this case, a Google Search Bar has been used… the kind you no doubt use daily on your computer or laptop:
It's super simple to edit and Instagram Story or Reels are a great size for sharing video on Instagram. Just change up the text to share the “search” you want to highlight. Then change the image or video in the background. This is great for:
- Tourism videos like the one in the example. Showcase something awesome about your region ie “Is this the best coffee shop in X suburb?” or “What is the best tour to do in X?”. Where is the best beach for beginner surfers? Tailor the question to showcase the thing you want to showcase. You can add more info in your description or blurb that accompanies the video.
- Showcasing any business or industry by asking a question about that industry. ie What is the best way to X? ie “best tips for preparing your home for sale” for a real estate agent.
- Asking a funny question or a relatable question. ie Why do we always do X?
Hot Tip: You don't have to use full sentences. You can add these queries just as people would enter them into Google Search (usually just as we say them – as a phrase or a few key words.).
3. Search Bar Multi-Scene Video
Let's take the search bar idea a little further by adding multiple video scenes to mix. An animal shelter promotion has been showcased in this example:
You can use this style to showcase any product or service or “pet” to suit your business or industry.
- A real estate video showcasing a house or property for sale.
- A vet sharing tips for pets (or a rescue organisation sharing videos about their dogs!).
- A coach sharing tips… share one tip per scene in the video.
Like these Canva video ideas so far? Here are a few more..
4. Funny Meme Video
If you're stuck for Canva Video ideas, then this is a great one: Make it fun! There's nothing more engaging to share between a brand and audience than a funny meme video that both parties can relate to:
Memes can be generic like the one above (to suit any industry, topic or person). Or they can be more specifically related to a particular topic or person.
- Share some observational humor that makes fun of you and your team. What quirky personality traits or mishaps do you have that others can relate to? (yes I'm talking to you, fellow night owls).
- Share some animal humor. Animal videos and images can make for great memes, as they often show a lot of personality. Relate their expression to something human and a situation or event that your audience will find funny.
- Share an industry meme. It might be something funny that all designers/engineers/bakers/small business owners/marketers can relate to. Every industry has plenty of these.
Hot Tip: Meme images and videos don't have to be super fancy. A video with simple block text as overlay will work just fine. They are a great way to top up your bank of Canva video ideas.
5. Product or Service Announcement Video
I like this type of video as it allows you to showcase a product or service. In this case I designed a template that can be used by a health club or gym to announce their classes or promotions:
This template is a Carousel Instagram Post so it can be downloaded in a number of ways to showcase your Canva video ideas:
- As a full0length MP4 video to share as a video on the newsfeed on Facebook or Instagram.
- As individual MP4 videos (any of the individual scenes can also be downloaded as a standalone MP4 video).
- As individual images. You can download any of the scenes as a static image in JPEG or PNG format.
- As GIFs – in Canva you can download moving video as either a GIF or MP4 format.
- Or a mix of all of these as a multi-scene Instagram Carousel Post!
This type of video can be easily edited to use in other industries:
- Share health tips or products in the beauty industry.
- Share some great destinations in your region if you are in the travel industry.
- Share tips for your audience based around your area of expertise or industry focus.
Hot Tip: When editing this video, try to change the text to similar length text of your own. It's best if you can think of some 4 letter words (the “suitable for work” kind) to replace the ones that I have included on this video. For example, if you work in travel, you could replace “RISE” with “FOOD” and “LAPS” with “TOUR” to showcase local restaurants or tours. Hmmm, good idea, I might have to make that template too. Watch this space!
6. Letterbox Video
Rounding out our Canva video ideas is the Letterbox video. These are popular on Instagram. It's an engaging mix of captions matched with video segments, which is great for watching with the sound off or on!
Simply switch out the videos you want to showcase, change the text for each video and add your choice of audio track for extra impact:
This type of video is great for:
- Tourism – as in the example above, it's a great way to showcase a region or travel destination.
- Business – share a series of tips, with a new tip on each panel. Why not have your team share a team on video and add the subtitles.
- Share a preview of a podcast or any content you have that has an audio or video track. The opportunities are limitless!
So, are you feeling inspired to make quick and easy videos? Here are a few final tips for editing videos or any visual content in Canva:
Tips for editing with the Canva video templates:
If you know me, you will know that I am a big fan of helping non-designers create visual content quickly and easily – by using a few key “rules” for editing templates. The same applies to video templates as it does for image templates:
- Don't move the elements and core frame of the design around too much. Stick to editing text and/or switching out the video footage initially. In short, trust the designer and their “foundations” for a good video template design.
- Keep the text to a similar length (same for same). If you start running the text longer than it is on the template, you run the risk of cramming up the design and making the video look badly designed or unbalanced.
- Don't change too many things. Try sticking to just 2 things to change ie text and video or text and colors.
- Change one thing at a time and see how it looks. If you are in doubt, less is more!
Canva Templates + 45 Days Free Trial on Canva Pro
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (includes templates that are both Free for all Canva users, and Free for Canva Pro users).
Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
Follow for More Canva Templates as they are released
The Canva video templates I have shared in this post are just the tip of the iceberg. Follow me on Canva to see additional templates (including new templates as I release them). Available for both Free Users of Canva and Pro Users.
Over to You!
Are you creating video with Canva? Did you find these Canva video ideas to be helpful? Enjoy using the templates!
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 60+ May Social Media Ideas (+ Canva Templates) - April 26, 2022
- 10 Fun Meme Templates to Make Your Posts Relatable - April 15, 2022
- How to Prove Social Media ROI (+ New ROI Tracking Tool) - March 16, 2022