Need some fresh August Social Media Ideas for 2023? We've featured loads of them in this post. It's packed with Social Media Content ideas for the month of August – including NEW Canva templates for images and video.
BY DONNA MORITZ | JULY 23, 2023
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This is a jam-packed post, full of popular, national and international holidays for the entire month of August. We've also added many unusual, weird and wonderful (and lesser known) August social media ideas and days of celebration. In fact, overall, you'll find 60+ different ideas in this post to get your creative juices flowing.
We've got calendar ideas for every single day in August in 2023, as well as ideas for weekly and monthly holidays – so you're fully covered. We've also added some tools and ideas, so this post is worth coming back to year after year.
What Comes With our August Social Media Ideas in 2023?
- Canva templates for you to easily create awesome images or even videos for your content calendar throughout August.
- an overview of all the August social media ideas for your content calendar. This ideas for what to create and templates to help you create them… then share your images, videos or GIFs.
- a super-handy infographic to help you easily grab social media ideas and holidays for the month of August in 2023.
Check out the other monthly social media ideas posts in this series (updated early 2023).
- 60+ January Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ February Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ March Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ April Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ May Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ June Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ July Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ August Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ September Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ October Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ November Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ December Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
Tips for Creating May Content Quickly & Easily
Creating content can take a LOT of time, but if you schedule content ahead it helps greatly to streamline everything. The following tips will help to make it easier for you.
Get prepped with a whole month of content in 2023 – that's content that's created, scheduled, and prepped to post, in much less time than you think. Here are a few tips for doing that:
- Use templates – it makes it easier! Many DIY Design tools have templates as part of your subscription. Use them! To help with this, we've included some Canva templates to get you started in this post. Edit the templates, customize it for your own! Focus on editing the basics – the text/stock imagery/photo/background video – as well as colors and fonts. If you keep it simple, you won't ruin the design.
- Batch all the things (and your images!). It's much easier if you sit down and create more than one video or image or GIF at a time. You're already making one, why not more? Make the most of it when you open up those design tools!
- Create short-form video for your social networks – start with shorter, social video. Even 15-30 seconds is long enough for most social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook. Then progress to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video when you have the time to do so.
- Create awesome that you know your audience will love. Share things we love to share – like questions, quotes, how-to videos, fun observational humour or handy tips.
- GIFs add some spark to your post – so create them. GIFs add personality. You can find GIFs from Giphy's huge library of GIF designs and they are great for adding into emails, websites, messages, and social posts. They add humour and personality to your storytelling. Always share directly from Giphy to give credit and views to the creator.
Canva Templates + 45 Days Free Trial on Canva Pro
Use the Canva templates in this post to get started (includes templates that are both Free for all Canva users, and Free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for an extended trial on my link:
Quick Guide Infographic to August Social Media Ideas in 2023
Here's a quick reference guide to August Social Media Holidays for 2023:
Want the full 2023 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here. (UPDATED in early January).
August Social Media Ideas and Holidays 2023 – Calendar Days
I've included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this August list of social media ideas and holidays. We've also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2023.
1. Spiderman Day – Is your spidey sense working? Today is all about your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman. And given the latest Marvel movies, Spiderman is always a popular superhero! Find out more here.
It's also Respect for Parents Day and National Girlfriend's Day.
Oh, and World Wide Web Day. Wheres would we be without it, hey? Probably offline enjoying life a lot more, hehe.
2. National Coloring Book Day – use the hashtag #NationalColoringBookDay. Just for fun, here's a simple Mandala Coloring book template.
3. Watermelon Day – It's all about juicy, red watermelon today. The humble watermelon is as popular as flamingos and pineapples lately so any social media post with a watermelon theme should do well.
4. National Chocolate Chip Day – Not that we need an excuse but yes, it's another chocolate day!
It's also International Beer Day. Cheers! Held on the first Friday in August.
5. National Oyster Day – Love them or hate them, today is the day to post about Oysters!
It's also National Underwear Day. Ooh, La La.
6. Hiroshima Day – Today is the day to remember the bombing of Hiroshima but also for anti-war and anti-nuclear discussions.
It's also National Root Beer Float Day (if you are in the US).
And for those creative beach sculptors, it's also Sandcastle Day (first Saturday in August).
7. Professional Speakers Day – Celebrate your favourite speakers.
It's also Lighthouse Day and Purple Heart Day.
And on the first Sunday in August is Friendship Day.
And it's International Global Forgiveness Day. Yes, today is all about forgiveness. Use the hashtag #GlobalForgivenessDay.
8. International Cat Day – if there ever was a day to post cat content, this is it.
It's also Dalek Day (Dr Who fans, get excited!).
9. National Book Lover's Day – Use the hashtag #NationalBookLoversDay when you post about all things books and the love of books. Maybe share a post like this one about being a book nerd:
It's also the International Day of the World's Indigenous People, so worth sharing something to acknowledge the first residents of our lands, no matter where we live in the world.
10. S'mores Day – Crack out the s'mores supplies. Today is the day for all things marshmallow, graham crackers and chocolate. Hint: my favourite combination is actually a sandwich of chocolate pretzels with cooked marshmallow in between. Sooooo good with a hint of salt!
Here's a fun Pinterest Video Pin template you can use to share your new-found love of S'mores… or just to share any recipe on your website or Pinterest:
It's a good thing that it is also National Lazy Day as you'll be in a sugar + food coma after eating s'mores. Use the hashtag #NationalLazyDay. Or perhaps share some self-care tips for taking time out. It's not lazy, it's self-care!
Oh, and it's World Lion Day too. Find out more here.
11. National Sons and Daughters Day – use hashtag #SonsAndDaughtersDay
It's also National Hip Hop Day.
12. International Youth Day – Celebrate the world's youth today and use the hashtag #WorldYouthDay.
It's also World Elephant Day – to celebrate these wonderful, gentle, loving, giants. Use the hashtag #WorldElephantDay.
Or if you like nostalgia, it's Vinyl Record Day too. Maybe share an LP Record-inspired post using a template like this:
Here's a fun vinyl-inspired mobile video you can edit to release new content … or music:
13. International Left-Handers Day – Lefties unite! Today is your day and the day to celebrate being a left-hander. Maybe do a post about famous left-handers, or share if you are a left-0hander.
It's also Prosecco Day. Cheers! Maybe share some Prosecco recipes!
14. Financial Awareness Day – today is a day to talk about finances, investment and schooling up on all things money!
15. National Relaxation Day – If you can be bothered posting on National Relaxation Day, use the hashtag #NationalRelaxationDay. Maybe you'll come up with more August Social Media ideas while relaxing.
Share a relaxing post like this one:
16. National Tell a Joke Day – Use the hashtag #NationalTellAJokeDay, and let loose with your best jokes.
It's also National Rum Day. Cocktail, anyone? And it's Rollercoaster Day too.
17. Today is Black Cat Appreciation Day and National Not for Profit Day!
If you're a changemaker working for a cause or social enterprise, celebrate it!
18. Serendipity Day – Believe in Serendipity? Talk about it today. #SerendipityDay.
It's also National Fajita Day, so break out your fajitas, guac and chips and margaritas!
19. World Photo Day – You shouldn't have any trouble thinking about what to post on World Photo Day… um…. a photo perhaps? It was a no brainer to include this in our August Social Media Ideas. It's a good thing that our social media platforms love photos! Go crazy on Instagram today! Use the hashtag #WorldPhotoDay.
Share a photo collage about your business:
it's also World Humanitarian Day (use #WorldHumanitarianDay), Orangutan Day, Aviation Day, Phew, that's a lot of days on the 19th this year!
It's also International Geocaching Day – If you haven't discovered geocaching yet (as an adult or a kid) and you love adventures and solving puzzles… you'll want to check it out. It's a location-based game that has outlived Pokemon Go in many countries. Celebrated on the 3rd Saturday in August.
The 3rd Saturday in August is also World Honey Bee Day, and this is super important… we need to protect our bees, like our lives depend on it (because they do!). World Bee Day in May but this is a second awareness day when beekeepers, beekeeping clubs and associations, (as well as honey bee enthusiasts) in the US celebrate honey bees (and the beekeepers) and recognize their contribution to our everyday lives.
It's also Photography Day!
20. National Lemonade Day – Got a good story about your early years in business (or running a lemonade stand?). Use the hashtag #NationalLemonadeDay.
It's also National Radio Day. How far we've come from radio to podcasts! And also a return to what we have always loved at the same time!
And for the bacon lovers… even though there seems to be dozens of “bacon days' throughout the year, apparently this is National Bacon Lovers Day.
21. Senior Citizens Day – Use the hashtag #SeniorCitizensDay.
It's also Poets Day. Share your favourite poem or poet.
And break out your couture … today is World Fashion Day! Share a Fashion or style quote!
22. Be an Angel Day – Use the hashtag #BeAnAngelDay.
It's also Eat a Peach Day. Share your favourite peach recipe, or just enjoy a fresh, juicy peach! #EatAPeachDay.
23. Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and it's Abolition. – Unesco founded Slave Trade Remembrance Day to remind us about the history of slavery and to continue awareness about abolishing slavery worldwide, as it still exists. You can find out about it here.
24. Strange Music Day – use this as an excuse to talk about the unfamiliar or the bizarre… or both.. when it comes to music.
It's also Vesuvius Day, the commemorate the day that Mt Vesuvius erupted and buried the city of Pompei in Italy, on August 24th, 79AD.
25. National Kiss and Make Up Day – Time to make up and let it go!
It's also National Whiskey Sour Day.
26. International Dog Day – time to post or talk about your friendly pooch! Share a fun post like this (and what type of dog ARE you today?).
It's also National Women's Equality Day – use the hashtag #Womens EqualityDay.
27. Today is Just Because Day, so it's a great day to do something.. just because.
28. National Bow Tie Day – use the hashtag #NationalBowTieDay.
It's also Red Wine Day. Because we can't have too many wine days in August:
29. International Day Against Nuclear Tests. Find out more on the United Nations Website here.
It's also Lemon Juice Day. If life gives you lemons.. add them to your August Social Media Ideas! Why not share something lemon-themed. Maybe a quote or even a quick how-to recipe.
30. National Toasted Marshmallow Day – a favorite for kids and adults the world over, today is a good day to toast some marshmallows.
It's also National Grief Awareness Day and Frankenstein Day and International Whale Shark Day and National Beach Day, to name a few.
and more beach vibe template fun with this video template:
31. Eat Outside Day. Time to enjoy some cuisine in the great outdoors! Or post about it on the socials.
Upgrade to Canva Pro
If you want to upgrade to access thousands more templates and elements, resizing, background image removal and more – grab my free Canva Pro Trial for 45 days:
August Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Months
Use this quick list of August months to find month-long social media ideas:
- World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7th).
- International Clown Week (1st week in August)
- Elvis Presley Week (August 9 – 17th)
- Be Kind to Humankind Week (August 25 – 31)
- National Breastfeeding Month
- Family Fun Month
- Home Business Month
- Black Business Month
- National Breastfeeding Month
- National Golf Month
- National Wellness Month
- Professional Speakers Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- National Inventor's Month
A few tips for using Canva to create your August Social Media Images in 2023
Here are some quick and easy tips for creating images in Canva for 2023 content
1. Use templates… all the templates!
The templates I shared in this post are just the tip of the iceberg. Looking for more templates? Follow my Canva Creator Profile on Canva to see 100s of additional templates (including new templates as I release them). I have a growing series of templates available for both Free Users of Canva and Pro Users:
2. Create Videos
Canva video allows you to create amazing short social videos or longer edited videos with ease. has an amazing video feature that allows you to easily add animations to your designs (text, object and whole-page animations) as well as adding videos and transitions. It's fast becoming an excellent alternative to other video tools so be sure to play with it!
3. Get More Calendar Ideas!
Check out my fully updated 2023 calendar post for more 2023 Social Media Calendar ideas!
Use these templates or August Social Media holiday ideas for your 2023 content.