Welcome to dozens of October social media ideas in 2023! With new Canva Templates, this article is filled with Social Media Holidays for October, ready to post.
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JANUARY 2023
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This blog post is jam-packed with national and international holidays for the entire month of October, 2023 In fact, there are over 60+ different ideas in this blog post, so you'll never run out of ideas – with Canva templates too.
Hello, fellow content creators! Welcome to October content galore. In this blog post, we're diving into a treasure trove of national and international holidays, spanning over 60 unique ideas for your October social media calendar. Plus, we've got your back with October Canva templates to make your content shine!
What's Included with Your October Social Media Ideas
- Canva templates: Dive into the magic of Canva with templates that empower you to craft stunning images and even videos effortlessly, perfectly aligned with your posts.
- We've got the lowdown on all the October social media ideas to fuel your content calendar. You'll discover what to create and have handy templates to bring your ideas to life.
- a super-handy reference guide (plus an Infographic): You need easy access to social media ideas and holidays. That's why we've prepared a super-handy reference guide and an accompanying infographic to keep your October content on point.
Before we embark on this October journey, take a moment to check out our previous monthly social media idea posts in this series (updated early in the year):
- 60+ January Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ February Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ March Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ April Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ May Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ June Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ July Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ August Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ September Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ October Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ November Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
- 60+ December Social Media Ideas + Canva Templates
And now, let's dive into the October Social Media Ideas and Holidays for 2023! Note that most of these holidays are US-based along with International and regional holidays. Look up holidays in your country or region to add more local content to your posts!
Tips for Creating October Content Quickly
Creating your October content can take a lot of time, so schedule ahead to get productive. Try doing just a few of these things and you'll rest soooo much easier knowing your content strategy is cranking! Here are some tips:
- Use Canva templates: A template takes the hard work out of designing content for you, because a designer has already done the hard work! Use a Canva design template to save time. Hot tip: choose only 1 or 2 things to edit (such as the text, imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts). You can then create something custom that looks great without risking ruining the design by changing too many elements.
- Batch it, baby! Create content in batches to use your time efficiently. If you open up Canva and start using it, make the most of it and create more than one piece of visual content.
- Create social video ready to post – It's never been easier to create social video when you use design templates to save time.
- Know the content your audience loves to consume. What do they love to share and engage with? Is it questions? Quotes? Handy tips? How-to videos? Or maybe some fun, observational humour?
Canva Templates + 45 Days free on Canva Pro
There are loads of Canva templates in this post including free templates. But to get access to all the template and elements in Canva's library, check out Canva Pro. Try it free for 45 days on my link:
And now, let's dive into the October Social Media Ideas and Holidays for 2023!
Quick Guide Infographic to October Social Media Ideas & Holidays in 2023
Use our quick reference guide to all your October Social Media Ideas. Share it or save it to Pinterest to find later:
Want to see the full 2023 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
October Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Days
Below we have featured at least one “day” or holiday for every day in our October social media ideas and holidays. Where possible, we've also included hashtags, tips, tools, and resources for easily creating visual content in 2023. Let's jump in!
1. International Coffee Day – Ah, the sweet aroma of coffee fills the air on the 1st of October. It's International Coffee Day, dedicated to celebrating the wonders of this caffeinated elixir. Share your coffee passion with your audience using fun coffee-inspired Canva templates.
Or how about some periodic element fun:
Or share a fun coffee quote on Coffee Day – you can find this one on my branded account in Giphy:
2. International Day of Non-Violence – Marking Mahatma Gandhi's birthday, this day champions the philosophy of non-violence. Embrace the peaceful spirit and share it on your social media. Find out more here.
And if you're looking for something to make you smile, it's also Name Your Car Day. #NameYourCarDay.
Today is also World Habitat Day – The UN is rolling out plenty of “days” in October – use #WorldHabitatDay. Find out more here. Held on the first Monday in October.
And… World Architecture Day. Use #ArchitectureDay. And Blue Shirt Day (World Day of Bullying Prevention). Both are also held on the 1st Monday in October.
3. National Techies Day – Techies unite! It's a day to dive into all things tech. Use #TechiesDay and engage your audience in tech conversations.
4. National Taco Day – Taco lovers, this one's for you! Celebrate with guac, I mean gusto, and use #NationalTacoDay to join the fiesta on social media.
Here's a Taco Truck Inspired menu template from my Canva Creator account, that you can edit for any food content or menu:
And it's National Vodka Day too. Skål! Cocktail, anyone?
If you're an animal lover, there it's World Animal Day too! Find out more here.
If you're partial to green smoothies, it's also National Kale Day – the first Wednesday in October – #NationalKaleDay. Share your favorite smoothie recipe with an infographic!
5. World Teachers Day – Take a moment to honor teachers worldwide for their dedication to education. Share your appreciation with #WorldTeachersDay.
And for the Bond Lovers… it's Global James Bond Day. It's a celebration of over 5 decades of the Bond franchise. #JamesBondDay.
6. Mad Hatter Day – Get whimsical and channel your inner Mad Hatter. Share Alice in Wonderland quotes and celebrate the wonder of this story. #MadHatterDay
It's also National Noodle Day. #NationalNoodleDay. It's ramen to be, so ram-ember the ramen noodles too. Use this animated Canva template for fun:
October 6th is World Cerebral Palsy Day #CerebralPalsyDay.
It's also World Smile Day. Use the hashtag #WorldSmileDay (first Friday in October). Share a fun post, joke or meme!
7. It's also National Frappe Day.… Fancy a frothy frappe? Dive into the world of blended coffee delights. Use this day to showcase your coffee creations and here's a fun sparkly frappe Canva template to inspire your creativity:
8. National Pierogi Day – Explore the delicious world of pierogis, and maybe even share your favorite recipe.
It's also National Salmon Day and World Octopus Day. Find out a few fun facts here.
9. International Beer and Pizza Day – Pairing beer with pizza – a match made in culinary heaven! Share your beer and pizza moments with the hashtag #BeerAndPizzaDay.
It's also World Post Day – yet another UN-celebrated day to mark the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern. It's Emergency Nurses Day too (held on the 2nd Wednesday in October every year).
10. World Mental Health Day – Join the global conversation about mental health. Use #WorldMentalHealthDay to raise awareness and share resources.
Get creative with a fun sticker overlay template like this one from my Canva Creator profile. Change up the curved text to make it say any positive “mirror” message that you like:
Rock it out today! It's Hug a Drummer Day – As a drummer myself, I had to include this day. It's all about the celebration of drummers in bands. Not often the most noticed but without them… you'd have no backbeat!
11. Today is the International Day of the Girl. This day is all about reminding us that for girls in developing worlds, gender equality isn't just about glass ceilings, it's about basic human rights… it's about “Fun-damental human rights:
It's also the National Coming Out Day. A day where people can celebrate those coming out as lesbian, gay, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) or as an ally. Find out more and get resources here.
We couldn't resist creating a fun “Love is Love” template as part of these October social media holiday ideas. Use it to celebrate the importance of this day:
Or maybe share a fun collage to share your LGBTQ Pride or share that you are a proud ally:
or some LGBTQ+ inspired gradient hearts!
12. National Gumbo Day – #GumboDay Discover the flavors of Louisiana with a hearty gumbo. Share your love for this creole dish. #GumboDay (PS for those that need to know, Gumbo is a stew-like creole dish from Louisiana, seasoned heavily and typically includes strong stock (made from meat or shellfish).
It's also World Arthritis Day – a global awareness-raising day for arthritis (find out more here).
It's also World Sight Day. Use #WorldSightDay to bring awareness to the fact that most blindness and vision impairment is preventable. Find out more here. World Sight Day is held on the second Thursday in October every year.
13. National Train Your Brain Day – Use the hashtag #TrainYourBrainDay. Engage your audience with brain-stimulating content. Share puzzles, brainteasers, and more!
14. National Dessert Day – Indulge your sweet tooth and ask your audience about their favorite desserts.
Cake Mode is ready for installation:
Ask your audience what their favourite dessert is. Mine is pavlova!
And it's Universal Music Day so add some music to your posts as part of your October social media holiday ideas. Celebrated on the 2nd Saturday in October.
15. Global Handwashing Day – Highlight the importance of handwashing in preventing diseases. Share hygiene tips using #GlobalHandwashingDay.
16. World Food Day – Raise awareness about hunger and nutrition issues worldwide. Share tips for better nutrition and join the conversation with #WorldFoodDay.
It's also World Spine Day and Steve Jobs Day if you feel like talking about your Apple obsession.
And if you need a clean-up, check out National Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day. Guilty as charged. This is a good reminder to delete some desktop files (3rd Monday in October).
17. International Day of Eradication of Poverty – Reflect on the fight against poverty and social injustice. Share messages of hope and change. Find out more here.
18. National Chocolate Cupcake Day – Chocolate lovers, unite! Celebrate with your favorite chocolate cupcakes and share mouthwatering images.
It's also National No Beard Day if you are partial to a smooth face. It's time to shave! Beard, no beard or trimmed beard, perhaps share a Barber-Inspired quote.
19. Evaluate Your Life Day – Didn't know this was a day? Apparently it is! Take a moment to reflect on life's journey. Share messages of self-discovery and personal growth.
It's also New Friends Day – maybe as you evaluate your life, it might be a good time to connect with some new friends! Or even catch up with old ones!
20. It's International Sloth Day – and who can resist a funny sloth meme? Not me!
It's also Information Overload Day – a good day to post about working smarter not harder, being productive and getting more out of your time… to avoid the dreaded overwhelm.
21. Reptile Awareness Day – Educate your audience about reptiles and their importance in ecosystems. Use #ReptileAwarenessDay.
22. International Caps Lock Day – Share content in ALL CAPS or use humor to celebrate #CapsLockDay. (aka if there was ever a day you could “shout” in ALL CAPS, then today might be it!).
It's also National Nut Day. Go nuts with nuts today. #NationalNutDay.
23. iPod Day – Remember the game-changing iPod? Celebrate its impact on music and technology, as this day is all about the humble iPod, introduced to our world on October 23, 2001.
There are two things to think about here. Firstly, why did Steve use that font for his presentation (sorry couldn't resist)? And secondly, this was marketing genius. Telling us that we could have a device that holds 1000 songs in our pocket. That's all he needed to say.
24. United Nations Day – Acknowledge the UN's role in promoting human rights and world peace. Use #UnitedNationsDay to join the conversation. Find out more about the UN and UN Day here. #UnitedNationsDay
It's also Take Back Your Time Day. It's about taking back your time to spend with family or just take a break – and why vacations are important, even if just stay-cations at home! #TakeBackYourTime. Maybe a little relexation and reflection is on the cards. Use this video template to share from my Canva Creator Profile:
25. World Pasta Day – From lasagne to spaghetti, today is all about Pasta. #WorldPastaDay. Share your favorite pasta recipes and explore this beloved cuisine.
Need something else with your pasta? It's also Greasy Foods Day. #GreasyFoodsDay.
26. National Pumpkin Day – Embrace the pumpkin craze! Share pumpkin recipes, carving tips, and fall-inspired content. #NationalPumpkinDay
Fun Fact – in the US and Canada, pumpkin is often eaten as a sweet dish – pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin spice in a latte. In Australia, we eat it as a vegetable in savoury dishes, like soup, and roast pumpkin. It's all a matter of taste (and location!).
or how about something to celebrate Pumpkin Spiece
It's also National Mincemeat Day. There are so many meals with Mincemeat!
27. World Day for Audiovisual Heritage – This day was chosen by Unesco in 2005 – a day to celebrate the world of films, radio, and television. Share your favorite shows and movies.
It's also Champagne Day. Cheers!
28. International Animation Day – Dive into the world of animation. Share animated images, videos, or even create your own GIFs.Pink & Purple Gradient Fun Chocolate Chat Animated Social Media by Donna Moritz (Socially Sorted)
This Canva template uses custom animation to create an awesome visual effect. Animation has come a
29. National Internet Day – Life was very different before the internet. Love it or hate it, it's here to stay. Today is a good day to start a discussion about “the net”.
30. Checklist Day – Highlight the importance of organization and productivity. Share fun (or poke fun) at checklist-inspired content, like this one form my Canva Creator profile:
31. Halloween – this day needs no introduction. It's time for spooky celebrations! Share Halloween-themed content, costumes, and treats with your audience.
Share a fun animated Halloween post like these:
Share an engagement post, post-Halloween party:
or share a fun Halloween meme:
or share a fun Halloween meme:
And we can never have too many Halloween templates, so how about a fun Message reminder notification post? This will engage your audience around Halloween.
I mean, really… we all hide the candy, right?
It's also World Magic Day (to commemorate the day that Houdini Died in 1926. Find out more here.
October Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks and Months
Use this list of October month-long holidays to help you create content:
- National Walk Your Dog Week (7 days starting 1st October)
- Universal Children's Week (7 days starting 1st October)
- Fire Prevention Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Financial Planning Month
- National Pizza Month
- LGTB History Month
- National Chilli Month
- National Chiropractic Health Month
- National Pasta Month
A few tips for using Canva to create your September Social Media Images in 2023
Here's are some simple tips for creating images in Canva for 2023 content:
1. Use templates… all the Canva templates!
The templates I shared in this post are just the tip of the iceberg. Need more templates? Follow my Canva Creator Profile on Canva to see 1000s of additional templates (including new templates as I release them). I have a growing series of templates available for both Free Users of Canva and Pro Users:
2. Create Videos
Canva video makes it super easy to add animations to your designs (text, object and whole-page animations) as well as adding videos and transitions. It's fast becoming a one-stop-shop video tool, so be sure to play with it!
3. Get More Calendar Ideas!
Check out all the 2023 Social Media Calendar ideas and templates:
Over to You
What templates, tools and ideas will you use for creating social media posts in October this year? Get started with this calendar!